Mr. Anis A. Khan
Managing Director & CEO
Anis A. Khan (AAK), a Fellow of the Institute of Bankers Bangladesh (IBB), has had over 36 years of experience and training in banking, capital markets, management, and leadership practices. Anis also serves as the Vice Chairman of the Industrial & Infrastructure Development Finance Company Limited (IIDFC), Director and Chairman of the Executive Committee of BD Ventures Limited, Independent Director and Chairman of the Board Audit Committee of Berger Paints Bangladesh Limited (BPBL) and Vice President of the Bangladesh Association of Publicly Listed Companies (BAPLC).
He is the recipient of numerous accolades including the ‘Business & Entrepreneur Excellence Award 2016’, where he was recognized as the ‘Inspirational Business Leader of the Year’, at a ceremony held in London, United Kingdom and which was organized by the UK Bangladesh Catalysts of Commerce & Industry (UKBCCI) on November 20, 2016.
AAK is the Immediate Past Chairman of the Association of Bankers, Bangladesh Limited (ABB) and a former Chairman of Primary Dealers Bangladesh Limited (PDBL). He has also served as the Chairperson of the SWIFT Member & User Group of Bangladesh.
MTB, under his leadership over the past ten years, has achieved a leading position in the business arena and received the prize for the best “Women Entrepreneur Friendly Bank of the Year” and Best “SME Bank of the Year”, in 2014, from Bangladesh Bank and the SME Foundation. In 2015, MTB was awarded the prestigious DHL-The Daily Star Bangladesh Business Award and recognized as the ‘Best Financial Institution of 2014’.
A career banker, AAK started his career with the then British-owned Grindlays Bank plc. as a Management Trainee in 1982 and went on to serve its successor banks – ANZ Grindlays Bank and Standard Chartered Bank, in a diverse array of roles both at home and abroad. In 2002-2003, he served as a regional head for Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) responsible for The Gulf countries based in Dubai, UAE.
After serving SCB and its predecessor banks for 21 years, AAK went on to head IDLC Finance Limited, the country’s largest financial institution (non-banking) for six years from 2003-2009 as its CEO & Managing Director.
Anis, also a fellow of the Institute of Personnel Management, Bangladesh, has served as a government nominated Director of Chittagong Stock Exchange Limited for four years. AAK served the country’s pre-eminent Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI) as Vice President for two successive terms during the years 2014 and 2015. He continues to serve MCCI as a member of the Chamber Committee.
A regular speaker on the global circuit, he has demonstrated his competencies in the field of finance, banking and management and presented papers as follows:
- In June 2015, on “Financing the Transformation of the Bangladesh Garments Industry” at the School of South Asian Studies, University of Harvard, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- On May 12, 2017 at the Bangladesh Development Conference at Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA. His subject matter was ‘Achieving SDGs: Financial Inclusion, Bangladesh Perspective’.
- Most recently, in March 2019, on the Bangladesh Economy and The State of Banking in Bangladesh at an international conference held under the aegis of Bangladesh Development Initiative at the School of Management, Yale University, USA
- AAK is a Director of The UK Bangladesh Catalysts of Commerce & Industry (UKBCCI), a leading umbrella organization for successful British-Bangladeshi entrepreneurs in the UK.
He has attended:
- “The Executive Program in Corporate Governance and Strategic Management” at the Haas Business School of the University of California, Berkeley in May 2014
- The Value Creation in Banking and Strategic Management Program held at INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France in October 2015
- In May 2017, a customized training programme at The London School of Economics and Political Science organized by LSE Custom Programs
- The Cambridge Executive Program in Corporate Governance: A Global Banking Perspective Program held on April 14 -17, 2019 at the Judge Business School – University of Cambridge, UK
A keen collector of art, he serves as a Trustee of the Society for Promotion of Bangladesh Art (SPBA). His hobbies and interests include photography, numismatics, youth development, reading, 4IR and AI.